Express moped kick start conversion is the way-to-go if your noped's starter spring is broken! You will not need any new parts, just a welding device to tack weld metal in place. Note: You will need to heat the starter spring up and rotate it 180 degrees. Then bend it out to make the kick start catch. Here are the steps (see diagram below for parts illustration):
|CLICK TO ENLARGE|
- [NOT NEEDED, BUT EASIER] - Remove ENGINE from FRAME
- Remove the STARTER LEVER/PEDAL
- Remove the transmission L-COVER (white cover)
- Remove STARTER STOPPER
- Remove DRIVE PLATE
- You should leave the KICK RECOIL SPRING in the L-COVER
- Remove STARTER DRIVE SPROCKET
- Remove STARTER ARM & ARM SPRING
- Tack weld (aka spot weld) the STARTER DRIVE SPROCKET in 3-4 places. This will involve tack welding the STARTER SPROCKET to the STARTER RATCHET (see diagram 1-A below).
- How to "tack/spot weld": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spot_welding
- How does spot welding work? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwL1CAg43PU
- What is tack welding? http://www.ehow.com/video_4426029_tack-welding_.html
- Place the STARTER DRIVE SPROCKET you just tack welded back into place.
- Wrap the STARTER CHAIN around the STARTER DRIVE SPROCKET and other DRIVE SPROCKET (attached to CRANKSHAFT)
- Reverse STARTER LEVER/PEDAL and tack weld the PEDAL on STARTER LEVER
- Replace L-COVER
- Replace welded STARTER LEVER/PEDAL
|A-1 CLICK TO ENLARGE|
Here is a video out-lining the steps you need to take inorder to successfully convert your honda's ratchet spring starter to a kick-start version in little to no time. Props to musicoutburstofasoul for the YouTube post:
post any questions you might have in the comments area below this post
Interested in cleaning your honda express carburetor?
Checkout this video.... CLICK HERE